Renewing Your South Dakota Driver's License

Written by
Amber Hobert
Published on
September 16, 2022
Table of Contents

South Dakota Driver's License

If you own a South Dakota (SD) driver's license and haven't renewed online or haven’t made plans to renew by mail in the last five years, you're obligated to do so. Every ten years, an individual may apply for an I.D. card replacement online or via mail. Renewal of your SD driver's license or I.D. card may be done online or by mail if you qualify.

To renew your South Dakota license, you must go to an exam station and complete a knowledge test in person if it has been more than 30 days since your last license was issued. You must pass both the operator's knowledge exam and the motorcycle knowledge test if you have a motorcycle endorsement (Class 2 license). To renew your driver's license, you must make an appointment for a road test.

To renew your driver's license in person, walk-in clients are accepted at driving test stations. This article will highlight the different ways to renew your South Dakota driver's license, the requirements, and other essential factors to note.

Renew Your Driver's License Online

Is it time for a change? Renew your driver's license online to save time. You may also make an appointment for a quicker journey to your local driver's license testing center. A list of essential papers might help you ensure that you have the proper identity. Don't wait in line. To renew your driver's license online in South Dakota, you can do it once every ten years. Below are the requirements.

● You should be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to apply.

● A gold star in the uttermost top right corner of your driver's license/I.D. card is required.

● You will need to supply your driver's license/I.D. Card number, last four digits of your Social Security number, and date of birth.

● In order to confirm your actual location, you'll need to upload, email, fax, or send two documents, and they cannot be handwritten documents. Your name and the date of the document must appear on them. You may use two documents to prove that you live outside of the United States if you're a military member or a member of your family (if stationed overseas).

● For those 65 and older, a one-year-old eyesight statement is also necessary. The vision statement form requires that to keep track of the scores.

● When renewing your driver's license online, drivers with bioptic lenses are not eligible.

● Visa and MasterCard are acceptable forms of payment.

Apply Personally at a Driver's Licensing Centre

You can proceed with your application personally if:

● You haven't applied for a driver's license in person in the past ten years.

● You desire to have your name rescinded.

● Your license, CDL(Commercial Drivers License), or endorsements are out of date, and you want to update them.

● You have to pass the road test.

● You use bioptic lenses.

● Your status with USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) is not updated.

To take the exam, you may either make an appointment or walk into any of the testing locations.

As long as you have been granted a state-issued driver's license or I.D. card in another state, you are not eligible for online renewal of your South Dakota license or I.D. card.

You can send your license within three to four weeks after completion. Proof of address or a vision statement may take longer to arrive if you send them via mail.

Getting a Driver's License or Identification Card

You may be able to renew your driver's license or state identification card online. Please make an appointment to visit an SD driver licensing office if you are unable to apply or renew online or by mail. License renewals may only be made online by those who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States. The following papers are required:

For Renewals Only

Up to 180 days before the expiry date of your existing South Dakota federal compliance card with a gold star in the top right corner, you may renew. You'll need to provide the following:

● Two proofs of residence/physical location (cannot be handwritten documents). These papers must include your name, your physical/residential address, and be less than one year old. A utility bill, a pay stub, a rent receipt, a phone bill, a bank statement, a mortgage document, a homeowner's insurance policy/bill, a tax document, your car registration, etc., are examples of such papers.

● A P.O. Box may be used as an address on one of your address papers, but you must also provide your actual address on the other document.

● In the event that you've changed your name, you'll need to provide verification, such as a certified copy of a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order. No copies will be accepted; only authenticated originals will be accepted.

● A Certificate of Citizenship/Naturalization, Permanent Resident Card, Employment Authorization Card, or Foreign Passport with Valid U.S. Visa/I-94 is required if you are not a U.S. citizen or if you were a non-citizen when you last applied.

Transfers from Outside the State

The following documents are required for all new applicants and transfers from another state:

● Certified U.S. birth certificate (only state-certified copies will be accepted — hospital-issued certificates will not).

● Valid and non-expired U.S. passport/passport card.

● Employment Authorization Card or Foreign Citizenship.

● Certificate of Citizenship/Naturalization.

● Permanent Resident Card.

It is necessary to establish the evolution of each name change by producing a certified copy of a marriage certificate, a divorce decree, and/or a court order for each name change to present your evidence of legal status. Only certified papers in their original form will be accepted.

Your Social Security Card, W-2, 1099, or a pay stub will also be required if you are a new applicant or a transfer from another state and your current driver's license does not have a gold star on the right side. Only original papers are acceptable.

All candidates need to provide two proofs of residence, one of which must be a utility bill. Your entire name, residence, and date of birth must be visible on these papers, which must be less than a year old. A utility bill, a pay stub, a rent receipt, a phone bill, a bank statement, a mortgage document, a homeowner's insurance policy/bill, a tax document, your vehicle registration, etc., are examples of such papers. Do not use photocopies or handwritten addresses in your correspondence.

Replacement or Duplicate Driver's License or ID Card

It is possible to apply for a duplicate/replacement I.D./license online, or you may make an appointment to visit a South Dakota driver's licensing center. U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents may only make online applications. To get started, gather the following papers:

● Two proofs of your actual location, such as a utility bill or bank statement. Your name and the date must be clearly visible on all documents. A utility bill, a paystub, a rent receipt, a phone bill, a bank statement, mortgage paperwork, a homeowner's insurance, or a tax document might all be included here.

● A certified copy of a marriage certificate (not from the church, but a government agency) or a divorce decree, or a court order is required if your name has changed. No copies will be accepted; only authenticated originals will be accepted.

● To prove your U.S. citizenship, you will need one of the following documents: a Certificate of Citizenship/Naturalization, Permanent Resident Card, Employment Authorization Card, or an International Passport with a valid U.S. Visa/I-94.

Commercial Driver's License

Applicants obtaining a CDL must submit an application at a state-approved testing facility with the following:

● A license application form that has been filled out in full (in English or Spanish).

● A completed medical certificate form, as well as any necessary documentation (if applicable).

● Two official papers in your name to confirm your actual location (cannot be handwritten documents). Your name and the date of the document must appear on them. Pay stubs, utility bills (such as gas and electricity), rent receipts, and phone bills are all examples of this. Bank statements, mortgage documents, and homeowner's policies are other examples of this.

● $33 application fee and $15 for each endorsement knowledge exam.

Note that you must book CDL driving exams at least two business days in advance at a third-party testing facility. You must hold a commercial learner's permit for at least 14 days before you may take a driving test. You can expect to pay $90 plus VAT for third-party testing.

Operator's License Upgrade for Restricted Minors

Driver’s license upgrades may be accomplished in a driver licensing office or by mail with the following documents:

● A completed application for a driver's license (in English or Spanish). Applicants must sign and date the bottom of the form before sending it for consideration. A notarized signature from a parent or guardian is required for applicants under the age of 18.

● A copy of your I.D. card or permission. Two proofs of identification (one with a date of birth) are required if your permit or I.D. card is lost, such as a U.S. certified birth certificate, a valid, non-expired U.S. passport/passport card, or a Social Security card.

● If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must apply in person at a state driver test station and provide U.S. Citizenship and Immigration paperwork verifying your legal status in the U.S. in order to get a driver's license.

● Two pieces of documentation demonstrating your actual address (cannot be handwritten documents). Your name and the date of the document must appear on them. A parental approval form is required when submitting two papers in your parent's name if you are under the age of 18. There are several examples of documents that might be included in this category: utility bill, paystub, rent receipt, phone bill, bank statement, mortgage paperwork, homeowner's insurance policy, and so on.

Requirements for Military Personnel

If you or your family members are stationed abroad, you may use two address documents to prove your APO (Army Post Office) / FPO (Fleet Post Office) address. Military personnel and their family who are stationed outside of their home state are permitted to provide two proofs of their residence.

Requirements for Veterans

Veterans who have been released from the military may have the term "Veteran" added to the front of their South Dakota Driver's License or Identification Card if they want. Additionally, veterans need to provide one of the following:

● DD-214 Form

● DD Form 2 (Retired)

● DD Form 2A (Reserve Retired)

● Verification of their military status by a county or tribal veteran's service officer

● NGB Form 22 (National Guard B)

Requirements for Full-Time Travelers

The state of South Dakota allows full-time residents of the state to renew or apply for a replacement driver's license online or by mail. Additionally, you'll need to provide the following additional documents:

● An affidavit of residency.

● A one-night stay receipt from a South Dakota hotel/motel, campground, or R.V. park within the previous year is required. Your name and South Dakota address must be on the receipt.

● Proof of your personal mailbox (PMB) service address in a document that is no more than a year old. A receipt from the PMB firm or a piece of mail having your PMB address on it might be included in this document (it cannot be a handwritten document). No virtual postal addresses or email addresses are allowed to be used in this application.

The Consent for the use of the Address form must be completed if you want to use the address of a friend or family member in South Dakota.

Driver's License Renewal is as Vital as Owning One

Renewing your driver's license should be done as soon as possible to avoid penalties. If you did not renew after it expired and you got into an accident, this would only sum up to significant penalties. Set aside some time for your driver's license renewal. After that, you may now safely drive without worries from the authorities.

To get your South Dakota driver’s license properly registered or renewed, contact a professional registration service in South Dakota or enlist the help of local mail forwarding services to renew your license today.

Sign up for Residency in South Dakota