Peruse through our most commonly asked questions below.


What are the applicant requirements for a South Dakota conceal and carry permit?

For both regular and enhanced permits the applicant must meet the following requirements (SDCL 23-7-7.1):

Has physically resided in and is a resident of the county where the application is being made for at least thirty days immediately preceding the date of the application;
  • Is eighteen years-of age or older;
  • Has never pled guilty or nolo contendere or been convicted of a felony or a crime of violence, as defined in SDCL 22-1-2 (9)
  • Is not habitually in an intoxicated or drugged condition;
  • Has no history of violence;
  • Has not been found in the previous ten years to be a "danger to others" or a "danger to self" as defined in SDCL 27A-1-1 or is not currently adjudged mentally incompetent;
  • Has no pending charges or previous violations of chapter 23-7, firearms control, 22-14, unlawful use of weapons, or 22-42, controlled substances; and marijuana, that constitute a felony or misdemeanor in the five years preceding the date of application.
  • Is a citizen or legal resident of the United States; and
  • Is not a fugitive from justice.

In addition to the above requirements, the enhanced permit also requires the following:

  • A copy of the applicant's fingerprints for submission to the FBI, and any governmental agency or entity authorized to receive such information, for a state, national, and international criminal history background check;
  • An authorization to run such fingerprint background check;
  • A separate payment for the cost of processing the fingerprint background check;
  • Proof the applicant has successfully completed a qualifying handgun course as defined in SDCL23-7-58 within the preceding twelve months or proof that the applicant is a current or former South Dakota law enforcement officer that has in the preceding twelve months, qualified or requalified on a certified shooting course administered by a firearms instructor approved by the Law Enforcement Officers Standards Commission.

For additional information on conceal and carry permits, please visit the SD Secretary of State.


Please link the above web address to SD Secretary of State

What are the steps to obtain my South Dakota driver's license?

A) Schedule an appointment at the South Dakota Department of Public Safety via this link https://dps.sd.gov/driver-licensing/renew-and-duplicate/appointment-information

B) Appear in person at a SD Driver Testing Agency

C) Pass a Basic Vision Test, if over 65 years old a vision statement form is required.

D) Surrender your current valid Driver’s License

E) Bring Receipt demonstrating proof of a SD Mailing Address (provided upon request)

F) Bring Receipt of one night stay in SD (stay must be less than 1 year old)

G) Cost = $28 (cash only) and your license is valid for five years.

You can now renew your driver’s license through the mail.  You will still need to provide a copy of a receipt of your stay in South Dakota (receipt needs to be less than a year old).  This option will hopefully save you a trip back to South Dakota during the colder months!

You must bring one of the following items to prove identity, date of birth and lawful status:

- Valid unexpired U.S. passport
- Certified U.S. birth certificate
- Valid unexpired permanent resident card
- Valid unexpired employment authorization document
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of citizenship
- Certificate of Foreign passport with valid unexpired U.S. Visa with I-94 citizenship

You must bring one of the following items to prove identity, date of birth and lawful status:

- Social Security card
- SSA 1099 Form
- Non-SSA 1099 Form
- W-2 Form Pay stub (must include name and full social security number)

Please note if your last name is different on one of your IDs, you will need to provide the necessary documentation on why it is (birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc).  You will also need to fill out a Residency Affidavit Form, available at all South Dakota Driver’s License station or download and print the form here.

Can I absentee vote?

If you are unable to attend your polling place in person on Election Day, you may be eligible to vote by absentee ballot. To vote by absentee ballot, a voter must request an absentee ballot application from your County Election Official. The County Election Official will send a paper absentee ballot to the voter. The voter then completes the ballot and returns it to the County Election Official.

Download the Absentee Ballot Application

Can I register to vote?

Yes, you can. Voter Registration forms are available through the South Dakota Secretary of State office or CLICK HERE to download the necessary forms. To register to vote, you will need to complete the South Dakota Voter Registration Form. You can register to vote when you get your South Dakota driver's license.

Your Voter Registration form with an original signature must be received by the auditor 15 days before any election if you wish to vote in that election. South Dakota law does not allow you to submit your voter registration form via fax or email.

Download the Voter Registration Form

Mail Forwarding

Are there additional fees with the My DakotaMail VIP?

If you request a mail piece to be opened and scanned, there is a $1 fee to open the mail piece and the scans are .50/page scanned.

When you request a mailing, there is a $2 fee plus the cost of your postage.

Are there additional fees?

$1.00 Handling fee per First Class mailing
$1.00 Handling fee per package received
$5.00 Handling fee per package sent via FedEx and DHL

How many entities can I have on my box?

You can have 4 entities per box.  This can be a combination of related people, trusts, and businesses.  

If you need more than one box, please contact customer service to receive a discount on your additional boxes.

Please note DakotaPost can not handle mail for any entity that is not listed on your account. This is a statute set forth by USPS for all CMRAs.

Can I change plans?

In the first 6 months of service, you can change your plan for free one time.  We understand you may not know your mail needs when first becoming a full-time traveler.  

After the 6 months, plans can be changed annually during your renewal month.  Should you want to change plans without waiting for your renewal month, you can pay a $25 set up fee and make a plan change at any time.  

A $25 set fee will be required each time you wish to change your plan outside of your renewal month.

How soon will I see my scan after I request them?

All scan requests are processed the following day after they are requested.

Example:  I requested a scan on Monday.  It will be processed on Tuesday.

Is viewing my online My DakotaMail secure?

My DakotaMail is completely secure, but still simple to use. My DakotaMail is encrypted, and requires a unique login and password for every customer.

How soon will you be able to send my mail after I request it?

Any requests made online before midnight CST will be processed and mailed the following business day.
Example: I requested my mail at 10 pm CST Tuesday. It will be processed and mailed Wednesday.

Any requests made online after midnight CST will be processed the following business day then mailed the next business day.
Example: I requested my mail Tuesday at 1am CST. It will be processed Wednesday and mailed Thursday.

Any online requests made after 5 pm CST Friday – Sunday will be processed and mailed Monday.

If you are emailing or calling with a mail request:

Any requests made before 5 pm CST will be processed the same day and mailed the following business day.
Example: I requested my mail at 4 pm CST Tuesday. It will be processed Tuesday and mailed Wednesday.

Any requests sent after 5 pm CST will be processed the following business day then mailed the next business day.
Example: I requested my mail Tuesday at 7 pm CST. It will be processed Wednesday and mailed Thursday.

Any requests made after 5 pm CST Friday – Sunday will be processed Monday and mailed Tuesday.

What shipping options are offered?

We ship via USPS, FedEx, and DHL.

What will my new address look like?

Your new address will be our physical street address with a unique PMB #.

You must have your PMB# on your mail to ensure proper delivery.

John and Susan Doe
3916 N Potsdam Ave PMB 1234
Sioux Falls, SD 57104

How can I request my mail?

You can request your mail online through your My DakotaMail  account, emailing office@dakotapost.net, or by giving us a call.

With the MyDakotaMail VIP plan, you always have to request your mail to be sent. Once your mail is sent,  your box goes on “hold” status until you request your mail again.

The same is true for a My DakotaMail Premier plan if you request your mail to be sent on a specific date. Your mail will go on hold until you request it again.

Can I come into the office to pick up mail anytime you are open?

Absolutely!  We love to see our customers face to face!

Our office hours are: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.

Photo ID must be provided.

Vehicle Registration

Can I register my vehicle anywhere in the state?

No, vehicles must be registered in the same county as your South Dakota address.

Do I have to get my vehicles inspected?

No, South Dakota does not require an annual vehicle inspection.

Does the dealership have to do my registration?

No. In most cases, the dealership does not have to do your registration.

Can you assist me in registering my vehicle?

Yes we can and we will! We can assist over the phone and through the mail, just be sure to be enrolled for our mail forwarding service, then contact us and schedule an appointment.

Registered Agent

What address do I use for my business?

Your new business address will be our physical street address with a unique PMB#.

ABC On the GO Moving, LLC
3916 N Potsdam Ave #1234
Sioux Falls, SD 57104

Is a registered agent required in South Dakota?

Yes, the South Dakota registered agent functions as the point of contact for a business entity registered in South Dakota.

How do I start a business in South Dakota?

To start a business visit the South Dakota Secretary of State website or CLICK HERE.

Sign up for Residency in South Dakota