Updating Your Address With Social Security
The US Social Security is a department that works for the welfare and protection of people. If you are receiving social security benefits and intend to change your location, you need to notify the social security department about this change. For this purpose, you can change your mail address and telephone number online through your account on the "My Social Security" website.
If you don't update your address on your Social Security account, you will not be able to receive your retirement or health funds. Don't know how to change your address with social security? Worry no more! This article will easily provide a step-by-step guide to changing your social security address. So, let's dig further to uncover the answer to your question, “how do I change my address with social security.”
Changing Your Address With Social Security
There are several ways to update your social security address, and some of the most common ones are discussed below.
Change the address online
We live in a world where the internet has simplified everything. With the help of the internet, you could easily switch your social security address. Here are the steps to follow:
- First, open any search browser and log in to your "My Social Security" account by typing in your account username and password.
- Following this, you must then read and accept the terms of service for my Social Security. Before checking the, "I agree" box and moving on to the next step, be sure you have read and understood this page completely.
Here is a summary of what you agree to, even though you must comprehend this information yourself.
- After you open an account, you won't get paper statements in the mail again. Neither will you ever share your information with anybody else or use anyone else's account. An annual email will be sent to you instead as a reminder to log in and update your information.
- Once you have logged into the website, click on the "My Profile" option. This is located on the right side of your screen.
- You will see the personal credentials you shared with the social security department there. Proceed to choose the "Update Contact Information" option and enter your new address and telephone number in the empty bar.
- Once you input your address, select whether you want the address to be updated immediately or later.
- Carefully check and review the information or address you entered.
- Finally, submit it to the concerned department by clicking on the "submit" option.
In the event you are without a My Social Security account
If you don't have an online account, you could easily create one by going to the official social security website. It's a free and easy process that takes less than ten minutes to fill in all the related information and create a new account. Besides easy address switching, you can also manage and monitor your online services, account statements, and proof of benefits.
Unfortunately, if you do not currently have an official US mailing address or you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you can't update your address online without requesting access. However, you are allowed to check your current address. In these circumstances, you need to visit or call your local social security office for an address change.
Change the address by phone
Changing social security addresses on the phone is an excellent option for people who cannot switch their addresses online or are experiencing other issues that make it impossible to do an online update. For this purpose, you need to call the social security administration's official number, 1-800-772-1213. The office is open Monday to Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M.
Once you ring the number, you will be connected to the automated system; after getting through, request the address change. The representative will ask you about your location and the time you want your address changed if you wish to change it at a later time or right away.
The entire process might take between a few minutes and about half an hour. This is because the officials may ask you to stay on hold while they make the necessary changes. Take note of the fact that if you call on a Monday or Tuesday morning, you will face an unusual delay as they are busier on those days.
Change the address in person
If you face challenges while changing your address using the two methods mentioned above, the best way to do it is in person. Create time to visit your nearby social security office and inform them about your concerns. Making an appointment before visiting the SSA is advisable because an unannounced visit means you have to wait a little longer.
You could visit the official SSA (Social Security Agency) website and call the number listed there to make an appointment. In the morning and peak day time, the Social Security offices are busier than usual, so it is recommended to visit them later on during the day, for instance, in the evening.
Changing Your Name With Social Security
Have you recently married or divorced and want to change your Social Security name? Changing names without proper guidance can be very inconvenient. So, to save you from the extra hassle, below is a step-by-step guide on how you can change your SSA name.
- First, you must provide your official and legal documents like identity proof, citizenship status, and legal name-changing proof. You could use your US passport, ID, etc., to prove your identity. In contrast, you need to show your original birth certificate to prove your citizenship. You must ensure that you also have your marriage or divorce certificate.
- Then, fill in all your essential information in the SS-5 form provided by the Social Security Administration.
- Next, mail this application to the nearest Social Security office.
- Lastly, don't hurry and wait for at least 48 hours for the official's response.
Notification Of A Change In Address Is Important
You must inform the Social Security Administration of your change of address as soon as you become aware of it. The agency will need your accurate address even if you receive your benefits via direct deposit, so it may give you information as needed.
It is advised that you undertake the change of your address before actually moving by making use of the feature that allows you to specify the date on which the relocation will take place. If you don't update the SSA about your changing location or change your address on time, you might miss your monthly or yearly benefits and essential updates.
As seen in the article, updating your changing location on your Social Security contact information is essential. However, if you face any issues in the process, you could contact the official Social Security Support, and they will help you with that.
Moreover, if you are currently not in the United States, you can try using a reputable mail forwarding company to guide you through the process. In the same vein, you could also find contact information on the official page of the Office of Earnings & International Operations regarding how to change your address with social security.