South Dakota vehicle license plate services
South Dakota Passenger License Plates
South Dakota Specialty/Personalized License Plates
South Dakota Disabled License Plates
South Dakota Veteran License Plates
Benefits of having South Dakota motor vehicle license plates
Obtain the ability to drive a vehicle in the state of South Dakota freely. Personalized plates, disabled or veteran plates ensure your vehicle is easily identified by yourself and authorities. It also ensures you receive the benefits and considerations which you may be entitled to due to your individual situation.
How to license my vehicle in South Dakota
South Dakota has a variable fee structure for different types of vehicles and license plates. You can call our office to schedule an appointment whether you want to visit us in person or take care of your vehicle registration over the phone.
- Obtain a year round South Dakota address by purchasing a mail forwarding plan.
- Make an appointment with our vehicle registration specialist
- Gather the appropriate documents needed for your appointment.
- Send in the completed paperwork and form of payment
- Let DakotaPost do the rest for you!
We will mail out your new South Dakota license plates as soon as the treasurer's office has them completed.
Costs to license a vehicle in South Dakota?
The fees for vehicle registration are based on the type, age, and weight of the vehicle.
South Dakota residents pay 4% excise tax unless of course you've already paid tax in another state. Other fees include:
- Title fee - $10
- Solid waste fee - $1
- Highway patrol fee - $1
- Lien notation fee - $10 (if your vehicle is financed)
- County Wheel Tax - $4 per wheel
- Late Title Application Fee - $1 penalty fee for every week past your 45-day grace period. Maximum fine of $50.
- Electric Car Fee - $50 Applies to only fully electric vehicles not hybrids
To have your questions about vehicles in South Dakota answered, contact us, we'll be happy to help!
DakotaPost customer reviews
Vehicles in South Dakota FAQs
No, vehicles must be registered in the same county as your South Dakota address.
No, South Dakota does not require an annual vehicle inspection.
No. In most cases, the dealership does not have to do your registration.
Yes we can and we will! We can assist over the phone and through the mail, just be sure to be enrolled for our mail forwarding service, then contact us and schedule an appointment.